Sedgefield Racecourse, Sedgefield, Stockton-On-Tees, Cleveland, TS21 2HW
Tel: 01740 621 925
Racing has been taking place at Sedgefield from around 1732, with the first recorded meetings in 1846. The course itself was part of the Sands Hall Estate, home of the Ord family and known as the Melton of the North.
In 1804 Ralph Lambton formed a club based at the Hardwicke Arms and Sedgefield became the headquarters of the Ralph Lambton Hunt, whose meetings had originally taken place at Lambton Park.
In Edwardian times Sedgefield promoted a two day fixture in March. Although it remained a meeting for hunting men, it was now a much more professional event.
The First World War saw the abandonment of racing in 1915 until its resumption in 1920. The post-war resumption was marred by the death of Richard Ord, the Squire of Sands Hall, who was owner of the Estate as well as a shrewd Jockey Club Handicapper.
By the mid twenties Sedgefield had three meetings, including a lucrative Boxing Day fixture, which still takes place to this day. The current Racecourse Company was founded in 1927, and has seen the fixtures gradually increase to the current twenty days.
Under the reins of Frank Scotto, who was appointed Chairman in 1977 following the death of Harry Lane, Sedgefield began the steady process of re-vamping the whole site. Down came the ‘tin huts’ and in their place new bars and eating areas. Stable facilities were improved, not only for the horses, but for the stable staff, jockeys, owners and trainers.
With racing becoming a popular sport, Frank Scotto’s aim was to make Sedgefield a friendly, welcoming place, with top class facilities available to all Sedgefield’s racegoers alike, at an affordable cost.
1991 saw the opening of the Sedgefield Pavilion, which houses a public bar, Tote facilities, a restaurant and seven private entertaining suites. With the demand for corporate facilities growing, the Theakston Suite opened in 1995, which incorporates a public bar, Tote facilities and three entertaining suites.
Since Frank’s death in February 1996, Sedgefield racecourse has seen changes in all areas, a re-furbished Parade Ring/Winners Enclosure, a new Betting Ring, and in 1998 a state-of-the art Weighing Room Complex was constructed, with better facilities for Jockeys, Officials and Medical Staff.
Northern Racing seek to continuously improve the Racecourse and continue the fundamentals established by Frank Scotto.