Newcastle Racecourse, High Gosforth Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 3HP
Tel: 0191 236 2020
There has been Horseracing of one kind or another in the North East for the past 350 years, records starting at Killingworth in the early 17th Century.
The Town Moor hosted the first recorded Northumberland Plate, won by Tomboy, in 1833 and did so until 1881 when the famous race was transferred to High Gosforth Park, much to the concern of local Geordies.
The Brandling Estate had been bought for £60k from the Brandling family and the 805 acres of Estate was operated by a ‘body of speculators actuated with the desire to promote sport in a proper fashion and get a fair return for their trouble and outlay’. 1882 saw the first running of the Plate at Gosforth Park with a new flat and chase course, new stand and stabling for 100 horses.
Racing has continued at High Gosforth Park for over 120 years and is the site of the Blaydon Races, a famous local day to the people of the North East and also Beeswing Ladies Day, named after the most famous horse never to have won the Plate. Apart from winning 46 of her 51 races, Beeswing produced children or grand-children, nine of which went on to win the Derby , eight to win the Oaks and eleven who succeeded in the St Leger.
The Estate developed over the years to include Parklands and Northumberland Golf Clubs, a nature reserve and a Scout Camp. Ownership of the Estate has changed hands many times and until 1994 was owned by Companies such as Newcastle Breweries, Bellway Homes and private shareholders.
Newcastle Racecourse had fallen into some decay over the years and was purchased in 1994 by Sir Stanley Clarke’s Northern Racing. The Estate has seen an investment of over £11m in his tenure with new facilities for Racegoers, new stands, parade ring and a straight mile flat track.